“It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart’s longing.” – Oriah
I deeply believe in finding work that is fulfills your soul, and then taking the leap to actually go and do it. I have spent a lot of time figuring out what I am pulled to do and slowly have begun making it real.
Once I became a mom my priorities shifted. I wanted to have time with Luca and space to do things that really make me happy. I resigned from my job teaching dance and put my health coaching practice to the side to focus on what really lights me up: making things + teaching yoga.
So that’s what I’m doing while Luca naps, when I have some help, or after we put him to bed. I feel so grateful to have finally located this sweet spot, and I have no doubt it will shift and change as I do the same. But it is extremely satisfying knowing I’m on the right path for right now.
It was scary to begin, to claim what I wanted, to change my mind again. And it required faith, support, and a lot of journaling and trusting through the doubts.
If you find that you are asking yourself some of these questions and are want to feel completely aligned with what your heart wants and what you are actually doing – here are some women and resources that really helped me along the way:
- Jeanne Grabowski : I worked with Jeanne for 9 months and she really helped me figure out how to be true to myself and to do what it is I was put on this earth to do.
- Caitlin Fitzgordon : I ran into Caitlin, my former birth teacher, during a tumultuous transition back to NYC. Working with her helped me navigate the challenge of motherhood and growing a business while creating supportive container to find clarity and confidence in my work.
- Danielle Van de Kemenade : I met Danielle while living in Frankfurt, and she simply ROCKS. She creates useful experiences (virtual or in person) to help people find their ‘heart work’. I love reading her blog, and taking her e-courses. She has a new one coming up : A Year of Heart Work – which is not to be missed if you are wanting a work / life that is exciting and meaningful.
- Braid Creative : I love reading their posts and gathering up any wisdom I can from these creative ladies. I took a Personal Branding e-course which was super insightful and have been enjoying their new podcast : Being Boss.
- And then learning from and listening to people who are following their calling and making beautiful things : like Alexandra Franzen, Gala Darling, and Jess Lively among others.
I am forever grateful for these examples and the incredibly rich content they put into this world to help keep me on track. And this little guy also helps.
So what do you want? Give yourself the time and space to ask, then get quiet enough to listen, and be bold enough to trust.